Monday, May 18, 2015

#6 How to speak so that people want to listen

Julian Treasure: How to speak so that people want to listen


Many people have the experience that when they speak, people don't listen to them. Why is that? How can we speak powerfully to make change in the world? 
Julian Treasure said that there are some habits we need to move away from our speaking, such as gossip, judging, negativity, complaining, excuses, embroidery, exaggeration and dogmatism. He suggest that there are four really powerful cornerstones, foundations, that we can stand on if we want our speech to be powerful and to make change in the world. The word is "hail," and it has a great definition as well. The H is honesty. The A is authenticity. The I is integrity. And the L is love.
I think this is a very powerful talk, I learned a lot from it. Julian Treasure give us a toolbox for effective communication, it's very useful. I want to be listened by people when speaking. However, it is not so easy to do it, but I believe practice makes one perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Nice recommendation, Vivian! I agree the word "hail" you've mentioned. Absolutely, I've learned a big one from this speech. Hope you can also change the world someday! Fighting!

    ReplyDelete