Sunday, March 22, 2015

#2 Dictionary Exercise

Commuter noun
A person who travels into a city to work each day, usually from quite far away.
The five o’clock train is always packed with commuters.

Correspondingly adverb
In a way that matches or is connected with something that you have just mentioned.
The cost of living in the city is more expensive, but salaries are supposed to be correspondingly higher.

Disruption noun
A situation in which something is prevented from continuing in its usual way.
The accident on the main road through town is causing widespread disruption for motorists.

Reinforce verb
1.To make something stronger.
    The experience reinforced my sense of loss.
2.If something reinforces an idea or opinion, it provides more proof or support for it and makes it seem true.
    All buildings are now reinforced to withstand earthquakes.
3.To make a group of people, especially an army, stronger by adding people, equipment.
    The UN has undertaken to reinforce its military presence along the borders.

Swap verb
1.To give something to somebody and receive something in exchange.
    I swapped my red scarf for her blue one.
2.To start doing somebody else's job, etc. while they do yours.
    I'll drive there and then we'll swap over on the way back.
3.To replace one person or thing with another
    I think I'll swap this sweater for one in another color.

These online dictionaries are very useful and convenient for us to look up the words that we don't know. I prefer to use Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionaries and Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionaries. Their definitions are clear, and they provides good sentences of the words. I hope I can learn more vocabulary through these online dictionaries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment